Welcome to the only Geriatric Education Center in West Virginia. We are located at West Virginia University Charleston at the Health Sciences Center. Our mission is to serve as much of West Virginia as possible with education and resources for the aging population.
Geriatric Education Centers, provide training of health professional faculty, students and practitioners in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease, disability and other health problems of the elderly. Projects must offer interdisciplinary training involving four or more health professions.
Our goals include:
- improving the training of health professionals in geriatrics
- developing and disseminating curricula relating to the treatment of the health problems of elderly individuals
- supporting the training and retraining of faculty to provide instruction in geriatrics
- supporting continuing education of health professionals who provide geriatric care
- providing students with clinical training in geriatrics in nursing homes, chronic and acute disease hospitals, ambulatory care centers and senior centers
WVGEC is a consortium of partners who all help add to our resources and ability to educate in widespread areas. Some of our partners include:
WVU Health Sciences Center – Charleston, Morgantown and Eastern Divisions (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health)
Marshall University School of Medicine, WV School of Osteopathic Medicine
WV Rural Health Partnerships which include: the Northern WV AHEC; Eastern WV AHEC; and the Southeastern WV AHEC (Area Health Education Center)
Please browse our website and contact us with any questions.